Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Is NCCU's Radio Station for Black Folks


Just got off the phone with the GM of WNCU (that's radio talk for the general manager, the boss, the big cheese) over at North Carolina Central University. On my never ending quest to find ways for everyday black folks to get their voices heard, I thought I'd call up to the station to get the 411 on how a Brotha or Sista could be down...

What I found out...

If you don't have a big time corporate sponsor that can drop 10 grand a year for a 30 minute spot...that ain't happenin'..

What tha ???

Now, if you are like me. I thought that WNCU was a college radio station...But no, it is a "public" radio station...Apparently, there is a difference...

From what I gather "college" radio stations can give free air time to members of the community because they have a lower budget..but "public" radio stations have the high priced NPR shows (that most black folks don't listen to, except for maybe Tavis Smiley and News and Notes) who they have to break off some major dollars.

Although the station is on NCCU's campus and rep's NCCU , it is not owned by NCCU, it just has a license through them...

Confusing, right ?

See, WNCU is a "jazz" station, not a talk station...So, if you want to make a plea to the community for help for your child, who is being pressured to join a gang, you're outta luck. But if you want to request a mellow tune from Kenny G.. hit 'em up on the request line...

She did inform me of the "community" programing that they have on Saturday mornings
but these are pre recorded. Kinda like a podcast with 50,000 watts. But they do have a sports show that takes call ins. (I guess they're real proud of that fact.)

So if I have a concern about why the person that I voted for isn't reppin' for the people, why my child is not gettin' a proper education or the hundred other issues facing black folks on a daily basis, too bad, so sad...

But if I want to talk about Super Bowl 42's winning touchdown, I'm in the house !!!!

Also, the last time they added one of these shows was apparently six years ago...So, let's see..We missed discussing the war, the 2004 election results, the cross burnings, Hurricane Katrina, Don Imus, the Obama candidacy.....

She did tell me about an upcoming news talk station but that will probably cost 10 grand as well for air time....

Wonder what talk show host they're gonna get that has enough "cheddar" to buy air time....

I can hear it now...

"Coming up next on WNCU, live from the campus of North Carolina Central University in the heart of Durham NC, formerly known as Black Wall Street where black folks have more issues than you can shake a stick at...... it's The Rush Limbaugh Show !!!!!!"

Min. Paul Scott can be reached at (919) 451-8283. His blog is http://www.nowarningshotsfired.com/