Wednesday, December 31, 2008

NWSF Bullet: News Flash... Cable TV in Danger !

So, I'm flippin' through the channels and this alert comes across the screen. At first I started to grab my coat and run to Home Depot to buy a new shovel because I thought it was a weather alert warning me of a coming blizzard.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2008/12/viacom-threaten.html

But naw, it was just the networks warning me that as of midnight 18 channels could be missin' from my cable box when I wake up in the morning if I don't rush to the phone, immediately and call Time Warner Cable and tell them....

Well, the alert really didn't tell me what to tell them but anyway, if I don't do something soon, something wicked this way comes!

The alert listed a whole bunch of Viacom stations that will disappear like Cinderella's coach at the stroke of twelve if I don't take drastic action.

Spike, MTV, Comedy Central...the list goes on...

Now, I thought to myself what does this mean in terms of quality African American programming ?

Let's see...There are really no more quality Hip Hop videos on MTV and I haven't seen The Boondocks on Comedy Central in a while...

So the answer to the question of "what this means to black folks, like me..."

Absolutely, nuthin' !

Maybe, if they removed some of these channels it would give more of our children time to engage in the lost past time of reading a book. Or at least maybe it will make room for a TV network with some quality black programming...

So, on behalf of the Black community I release the following statement to the cable networks...

"Crash and Burn!"